We are an extended family of 4 retired siblings and spouses who have an annual reunion of 5-7 days (adults only). This year, we chose the Jacob Wendell House on Mackinac Island.
Renting the entire home gave us a totally free an relaxing environment, complete with everything any home offers. I can't imagine any hotel (especially the Grand) offering so relaxing an environment as the house, especially as everyone had their own bedroom and bathroom. We enjoyed the porch, the living room, the kitchen and large dining room. Games were played nightly at the dinning room table. The house is about 3 blocks from town, and an easy and safe walk at any hour.
It is a very old house (1846), and like all old homes, it shows some age. I would have liked a bit more water pressure in the shower (BR#3), but I head no complaints about the house from any of the other 7 family members. [hmmm, come to think of it, I could have been writing about myself] All 4 BRs are upstairs, One is a large master w/small porch, others are small but comfortable.
If you go, do take bikes if you have them, or can borrow them. Bike riding is extremely popular and easy (almost no hills on the beautiful 8-mile coastal route), but they do not come with the house, and will cost your right (arm) to rent.
There are many forested and overlook walking trails that are well worth the modest effort required. Of course there are also horse-drawn tours covering about all one need see. The main historical attractions are the Grand Hotel and the fort. The town is very 'touristy', as one would expect (and of course, that's part of the fun in going). Do consider the buffet lunch ($40) at the Grand, it will allow you to explore the hotel, the famous 1,000 front porch, and the grounds. Persons not moving by foot or by bike are riding in a horse-drawn carrage (including taxi). The lake is a beautiful blue, and one can easily see Lake Huron's stoney bottom some distance out from the overlooks (the water is also a bit cold). The Great Lakes are the world's largest freshwater supply, an international boundry, and traveled by many large ships passing the closeby Straits of Mackinac leading to Lake Michigan.
Restaurants are very good, and prices are about what one would expect in a seasonal and remote location.
Yes, it really is an island, so 99% of those coming here take one of the frequent ferrys from Mackinaw City or St. Ignace (if you go to St. Ignace, you will travel over the famous Mackinaw Bridge ($3.50), and have a bit shorter ferry ride). The other 1% fly into the small airstrip.
Finally, the Jacob Wendell housekeeper, Kristen, is perfect for her job. She is extremely helpful in every way, and has the personality of your best friend. If you don't fall in love with Kristen, there is something wrong with you...not her.